There are many things I miss about my hometown of Dearborn, Michigan.
I miss my family. I miss friends. I miss all the fun gatherings, events and celebrations!
At all of these gatherings, there is always a large selection of delicious foods.
Aside from all the delicious home cooked meals, I miss the easily accessible halal food.
We are limited on halal options here, so we generally prepare things at home.
As you know from previous posts, LA Bistro is a popular restaurant in Dearborn, with a variety of cafe style Mediterranean food. One of my favorite dishes they serve, is the almond chicken. So, I developed a copy cat recipe!
Here is my recipe:
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut or beat into ¼ inch thick pieces
- 1½ cups Italian bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- ½ cup vegetable oil (I use grape seed oil)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground white pepper (can use black pepper)
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- In a second bowl whisk together eggs
- In a third bowl combine bread crumbs and almond slices.
- Set up dipping station. First flour mixture, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Dredge chicken breasts into flour, then egg wash, then coat them with the bread crumbs. Gently press the almonds into the chicken so they stick.
- Heat oil in pan. Cook chicken 3-5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Place on rack.
- To make the sauce, mix butter and flour to create a roux. Allow flour flavor to cook out; approximately 5 minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Whisk in heavy cream, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.Add in the sun dried tomatoes. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the sauce over chicken.
- Serve with a side of rice and vegetables.
- Enjoy 🙂