There are many recipes on the inter web for bang bang shrimp. I’ve learned that many of these are a copy cat recipe of Bone Fish Grill. I have not tried their bang bang shrimp, but decided I wanted to try it at home! This has also been served as an appetizer; I thought could be served with rice as an entrée!
I’ve also tried this recipe using chicken and it was ah-mazing! But why stop there? Are you vegan or vegetarian? Substitute meat for tofu or your favorite vegetable.
This preparation reminds me of the Japanese dish tonkatsu. 🙂
I love this chili paste and many have asked for photos so they know what to look for in the grocery store
In the directions below, I discuss the breading station. These are the three bowls you will dip your shrimp into. It helps keep everything organized and clean and it should look like this:
I like to place the shrimp on a wire rack, this is what it looks like:
Here is my recipe:
- 1 pound raw shrimp (deviened and shelled) or chicken (boneless, skinless, cubed into 1inch pieces)
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup mayo
- ¼ cup Thai chili paste/sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- butter lettuce (for serving)
- Set up the breading station with three bowls. The first will hold the flour. Add the salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. The second bowl will hold the beaten eggs. In the last bowl add the panko bread crumbs.
- Dredge (dip) shrimp in flour, then in egg wash then coat with panko. Repeat until all shrimp is coated.
- Heat oil in medium size pan, until it reaches 375 degrees.
- Fry the shrimp until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place on wire rack.
- Combine mayo, chili paste, honey and sriracha in large bowl. Mix well.
- Toss shrimp in the sauce. Arrange on plate atop butter lettuce.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with a side of rice.
- Enjoy 🙂