What can be better than a tender, juicy beef stew that his been cooking all day and creating a beautiful aroma throughout your home?
This is not a weekday recipe for the working folk, as it takes several hours to prepare. But is perfect on a dark, rainy Sunday.
I prefer to eat this meal earlier than our normal dinner time, as it is very hearty.
I have also include the recipe for my mashed potatoes, as the stew was served over these potatoes. It’s a simple recipe really: potatoes and a ton of butter and a splash of cream :P.
Please make mashed potatoes from “scratch”. It takes 10 minutes and is SO much better tasting than that weird powder stuff.
Here is my recipe:
Makes 6 servings Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 2 1/2 hours
1 1/2 pounds stew meat
2 cups chopped onion (2 large onions)
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (2 large carrots)
1 1/2 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
2 cups chopped turnips (1 large)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable stock (or beef) *Low sodium
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In large stew pot, heat olive oil and butter on medium high heat. Once butter is melted add meat and sear on each side. Remove from pot.
2. Add onion and garlic to the pot and cook until onions are translucent. Add in tomato paste, salt, pepper, thyme, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and vegetable stock. Add beef back in and turn heat to low. Place lid on pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
3. Add in carrots, celery and turnips. Allow to simmer for another 30 minutes, or until sauce as thickened and vegetables are cooked thru.
To make mashed potatoes:
4 large russet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt
1. Peel 4 large potatoes and chop into 1 inch cubes. Place in a large pot of boiling water.
2. Cook until potatoes are tender and slide off a knife that pierces thru it. Drain water.
4. Serve a large ladle of stew over mashed potatoes.
5. Enjoy 🙂