To most, making pasta at home probably sounds scary. I was also skeptical that I could do this. But then, I tried and succeeded. Yes, we did take a class at Sur La Table, but it was more for the experience and a fun date night than anything else. After making fresh, delicious pasta ourselves, we find it hard to eat that stuff from the box (but do, especially after a busy work day).
Here is our recipe 🙂
Makes 4 servings
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 large eggs
1 cup or so rice flour for dusting work surface and pasta machine
1. Place flour and salt in bowl and whisk to combine. Make a well in the center of the flour and add in eggs and olive oil.
2. Using your fingers, blend the eggs into the flour, stirring the flour in from side to side. When the dough is thoroughly mixed, turn over to a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until it is smooth and flexible. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes at room temperature.
3. To roll the dough, secure your pasta maker on the edge of a counter top. Cut pasta into three equal size pieces, using a bench scraper. Flatten one piece of dough into a rough square shape. Cover the two remaining with plastic wrap to prevent dry out.
4. Place the rollers on the widest setting, and roll the dough through the machine, catching it with one hand as you roll with the other. *It is helpful to have two sets of hands during this process.
5. Fold the dough over itself and roll through the machine again. Now roll the dough at a the next smallest setting. (I started on 8 and was on 7 at this step). Be sure to lightly dust the dough with rice flour to prevent it from sticking to the machine.
6. Continue rolling the dough through the next smallest setting until you get to setting number 1.
7. Run pasta thru desired attachment. Place cut noodles onto floured surface.
8. To cook pasta, heat large pot of water over high heat until boiling. Add a large pinch of kosher salt. Add pasta and stir, so the noodles do not stick to one another. Boil until pasta is al dente, about 3 minutes.
9.Top with your favorite sauce. See my next post for bruschetta chicken pasta recipe!
10. Enjoy 🙂