As some of you already know, I am currently visiting my family in my home state of Michigan. Yes, I am from the mitten state. The south east side to be exact. If you have ever met someone from Michigan, I bet they have raised their right hand and shown you exactly where on the map they live(d). If not, they can not be trusted as a true Michiganader.
Since I have been home, I have been to many family gatherings, outings, parties, ect. So there has not been much time to cook. But alas, a quite afternoon and the perfect opportunity to prepare a vegetarian meal for my mother; whom I can never repay.
Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable, whose versatility I did not appreciate until recently. I have made cauliflower ‘mashed potatoes’ and pizza crust. It is also very healthy and has almost a full days recommended amount of Vitamin C, in just one serving.
Since the florets of the cauliflower absorb flavors so well, I decided to make a curry spice blend. I served it with a side of wild grain rice and a spring mix salad. This would also be great with chicken breast, tofu, potatoes, or a white fish.
Here is my recipe:
12 cups cauliflower florets (approximately 2 large heads)
3 cups red onion, chopped in large pieces
4 large cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup raisins (I used golden)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon curry
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut up cauliflower into small florets. Chop red onion into 1/2 inch sections. Slice garlic cloves.
2. Toss cauliflower in a bowl with onion, garlic, curry, turmeric, paprika, black pepper, salt, olive oil and vinegar. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
3. Pour mixture onto pan. Roast in the oven for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir. Add in raisins. Cook for another 20 minutes.
4. Toast almond slivers in pan on stove until golden brown.
5. Remove roasted cauliflower from oven and mix in almonds. Top with flat leaf parsley.
6. Enjoy 🙂