With many of you taking on a healthy ‘diet’ or ‘lifestyle’ in the new year, I wanted to share a healthy snack. These granola bars are super easy to make! By making them at home, you can control the sweetness and add extra that you like most.
I added mini chocolate chips, but feel free to omit them or substitute for dried fruit, freeze dried fruit, raisins, banana chips, coconut flakes, pistachios, pecans, walnut ect…
This batch makes about 12 bars (depending on how you cut them, you can get more or less). The bars should be stored in a air tight container or Ziploc bag. They will stay good for about a week, although they never last that long in our home 😀
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats evenly onto a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes, until slightly golden brown.
- Remove the oats from the oven and allow to cool.
- Soak your dates in water to soften.
- Create a paste of your dates by blending well in the food processor.
- Heat honey and peanut butter over low heat, until peanut butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, date paste, peanut butter and honey mixture, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in almonds and mini chocolate chips.
- Line a 8 by 8inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread granola mixture evenly.
- Allow to set in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Cut into bars.
- Enjoy 🙂