One of my favorite summer dinner dishes is Mujadarra ruz, lentils with rice. Paired with a light salad of tomatoes, cucumbers and mint, this makes for a perfect picnic meal. This dish is also vegetarian and done in about thirty minutes.
I am excited to be partnered with Royal Foods basmati rice to bring you this recipe. When I asked my mom how she made hers, she had estimated measurements, which were a great starting point. My recipe makes about 8 dinner servings, and this dish makes great leftovers.
This recipe also has a simple ingredient list! Yay for not having to hunt down speciality ingredients 😀
- 2 cups green lentils
- ¾ cup rice (I used Royal Basmati)
- 3½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced white onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse the lentils and rice until cold water
- Place lentils and rice in a large pot with water, 1½ teaspoons salt, cinnamon stick, cumin, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low heat. Place lid on the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat olive oil and onions. Sprinkle remaining salt over top. Slowly caramelize the onions until they are golden brown.
- When the lentils are tender, remove from heat.
- Top the lentils and rice with caramelized onions
- You may wish to chop onions and mix it in with the lentils and rice.
- Water can be substituted for vegetable broth, just be sure its low sodium and reduce the salt in the recipe
- This recipe can be doubled and makes great left overs!
- This dish is traditionally served with a salad and yogurt.
Make this dish? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate
**This post is brought to you by Royal Foods. All content, ideas and words are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who allow me to create and share these fun, new recipes! 🙂