In the summer heat, I try to avoid turning on the oven. And when its hot we like something light and refreshing. I love this salad as it is a great way to use up some old bread. I also add summer fruit as it is refreshing and so flavorful.
Panzanella is a classic Tuscan salad, that is made in the summer using up old bread. I was introduced to it via What’s Gaby Cooking. This recipe is adapted from FoodNetwork.com
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 baguette, cubed (6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cubbed
- 1 cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 peach sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cut olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until browned.
- For the vinaigrette, add the ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, red onion, basil, peaches, and cherries. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Allow the flavors to blend and serve.
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me #CreateAmandasPlate @AmandasPlate