One of my favorite fall activities is spending an afternoon at the apple orchard. This past weekend, my family and I headed to Wiards Orchards in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
We enjoyed cider and donuts, a few carnival actives and of course apple picking. We came home with delicious apples and I asked all of you via Instagram, which recipes you’d like to see. Apple Crisp was a top request and I had not shared my twist on the classic fall dessert yet.
I created my pecan cardamom apple crisp with granny smith apples, as they hold up well in baking. I also toasted my own cardamom pods to intensify the floral notes of the cardamom!
Heres how I made fresh ground cardamom: I first roasted them for 3 minutes on medium low heat. I then peeled the husks off and placed the insides in a spice grinder and blended away! So easy and so work it 😀
If you are in a time crunch you can use store bought ground cardamom.
On to the recipe:
- 8 large granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅙ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 9 by 13 baking dish with butter.
- Peel, core and quarter apples. Place in a large bowl and toss with sugar, flour and lemon juice.
- Place apple mixture in baking dish.
- Prepare topping my mixing together butter, flour, oats, pecans, brown sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Sprinkle topping over the apples.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and the topping is crisp.
- In a saucepan, heat butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, vanilla and salt.
- Whisk and continue heating until caramel thickens. Allow to cool before serving.
- Enjoy 🙂
Make this disk? I’d love to see! Please tag me @AmandasPlate or #CreateAmandasPlate 😀