Hussein loves Asian food. From Thai to Japanese to Vietnamese to American takes on Asian flavors.
I also love Asian Cuisine and don’t cook it often enough. We generally get take out Pho or go out for sushi!
But I need to do a better job of using these flavors (& the personalized chop sticks my friend Rana got us) in my kitchen!
When planning my dinner menu for the week, I try to mix up the proteins and styles of cooking to keep things interesting.
But I also don’t want to spend two hours making dinner. Because in the words of Sweet Brown:
I’ve made lettuce wraps several times at home and learned that butter lettuce make for the best ‘lettuce wrap’ vessel.
This recipe is really simple, as is the peanut sauce to accompany it (the base is peanut butter).
Feel free to add/substitute any of the vegetable toppings and use what you like! Cooking is fun and recipes are simply a guide.. make them your own 🙂
- 1 pound extra large (26-30 count) shrimp, de-veined and shelled
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (can use canola oil)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed, cored and leaves seperated
- 1/2 cup julienned daikon radish
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup peeled edamame
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- lime wedges
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- pinch of salt
- Combine shrimp, lime juice, all spice, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Heat sesame oil in skillet and pour shrimp into the hot oil.
- Add in the bell pepper and onion.
- Cook until the shrimp form a "c" shape; if they are an "o" shape they are overcooked. About 7-8 minutes
- Make peanut sauce by combining crunchy peanut butter, Thai chili paste, fresh lime juice, water and salt until well incorporated
- Assemble lettuce wraps by layering shrimp saute then adding your favorite toppings and the peanut sauce
- Enjoy 🙂
- You may choose to add 1 cup cooked rice noodles to shrimp!