I have shared a few variations of Hummus recipes on my blog. Whether it’s Avocado Hummus Tomato Basil Hummus or the ver popular Loaded Hummus Dip a good hummus recipe is a must. This smooth hummus recipe, is created with dried chickpeas, which are soaked overnight. This recipe does require some planning but it is definitely worth the effort.
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 medium sized cloves of garlic
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup cold water
- ¼ cup olive oil for topping, optional
- micro greens for garnish, optional
- crispy roasted chickpeas, optional, recipe follows below
- In a large bowl, soak chickpeas in cold water for at least 8 hours or overnight
- Drain the chickpeas and place in a pot with cold water. Add baking soda.
- Bring to a boil and cook for chickpeas until soft and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and allow to cool for a few minutes
- In a food processor, blend together cooked chickpeas,salt, garlic cloves, tahini and fresh lemon juice.
- Slowly add cold water and continue blending until smooth
- Smooth onto plate and drizzle with olive oil, and top with micro greens and roasted chickpeas
Hummus is the Arabic word for chickpea! So any ‘dip’ made without chickpeas, that is referred to as hummus, is actually incorrect. The more you know 😀
Chickpeas after soaking overnight.
I also wanted to share my crispy roasted chickpea recipe, as they make a great topping to a hummus dip.
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Drain and dry chickpeas.
- Place in a bowl and toss with olive oil, paprika, salt and garlic
- Spread the chickpeas onto a sheet pan and place in the oven
- Roasted for 25 minutes, shaking the pan a few times during the process
- Remove from oven
Make this dish? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate