Today is Pi Day.
No, not a misspelling. I mean, Pi: the ratio of a circles circumference to its diameter. 3.14159265359 🙂
My 10th grade math teacher, Mrs. Garrity would be proud 😛
Today is March 14, (3/14) also known as Pi Day! And really it is just an excuse to eat pie in March. Because most people wouldn’t be eating a pie today. The holidays have passed and the yummy fruit that fill the summer pies are not yet in season.
I wanted to make a pie with what I had (this seems to be a trend). I had graham crackers and chocolate and I decided it would be best to go simple since it was close to midnight!!
If you follow me on Snapchat (AmandasPlate), you would see my late night shenanigans 😀
I call this my S’mores Pie with Graham Cracker Crust. Simple, rich, delicious. It really transports to summer around a bon fire… ahhh…. summer….
On to the recipe:
- 9 graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 large egg yolks (reserve whites for the meringue)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- In a food processor, blend the graham crackers until fine.
- Add the sugar and butter and pulse until combined
- Press the crust into a 9 inch pie pan, using the back of a measuring cup. Set Aside
- In a sauce pan heat milk, until hot, but not boiling. remove from saucepan and set aside.
- Place sugar, cocoa powder, and flour into the sauce pan. Add in the egg yolks and mix until a paste forms.
- Sllllooowwwlly add in the milk, mixing constantly.
- Heat on medium heat until it thickens; about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla, butter and salt. Mix until well combined
- Pour the chocolate filling into the crust.
- Place in the refrigerator for 40 minutes.
- Using an electric mixture, whisk egg whites, until frothy.
- Add in the sugar and continue whisking until the meringue has stiff peaks and is glossy.
- Spread meringue topping over the pie.
- Place under the broiler in the oven. Watching it carefully until golden brown.
- Cool pie and enjoy 🙂