I love a good summer salad. One of my favorites, includes the sweetness of watermelon, the saltiness of feta cheese and the richness tartness of balsamic vinegar. I wanted to play on these flavors and created my Watermelon, Feta, Jalapeño Salad. The slight heat of the jalapeño is the perfect addition to this summer time favorite.
With the Holy Month of Ramadan around the corner, this salad makes the perfect addition to iftar (breaking fast meal that takes place at sundown). Watermelon is a great way to hydrate after a day of fasting. The toasted almonds add a great crunch and protein as well 🙂
My Watermelon, Feta, Jalapeño Salad makes the perfect side dish to a BBQ, picnic, or
- 5 cups cubed seedless watermelon (about half seedless watermelon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- ¼ cup toasted almond slivers
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Arrange watermelon on serving plate
- Chiffonade the mint and basil. These is achieved by rolling the mint and basil leaves into a cigar shape and slicing thru the leaves to create thin strands of herbs. Top the watermelon with the herbs.
- Using a jar, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt and shake until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Top the watermelon with minced jalapeños, toasted almonds, and feta cheese
- Enjoy 🙂
Here is a quick video of my assembling the recipe:
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Please tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate