Cheese and zaatar manoushi are a staple on the breakfast day in our home. Especially on Sundays when all gather for a brunch. It’s hard to choose a favorite flavor manoushi so I like to make my manoushi smaller so we can have one each of zaatar and cheese. I use a shredded mozzarella cheese but ackawi cheese can also be used.
For the recipe I divided the manoushi dough into 16 even pieces using my bench scrapper. This recipe can easily be doubled and the manoushi can be frozen after cooked for easy suhoor.
- 3 cups all purpose flour King Arthrur
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Toppings and baking
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup zaatar
- 1/4 cup olive oil for the pans
- To make the dough: Combine yeast, sugar and water in the bowl of your stand mixer with the hook attachment. Allow to sit for 10 minutes so the yeast can bloom.
- Add in flour, olive oil and salt to the mixer and mix to combine on medium speed. Turn the speed up and knead down for 8 minutes until a smooth ball forms. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm dark place for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- Divide dough evenly into 16 piece rounds and cover again for a second rise. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the dough and place on olive oil covered baking sheet. Top with cheese or zaatar and bake for 12-15 minuted until golden brown.