Unicorn Marshmallow Recipe
Eid is just around the corner and I love sharing treats as a gift! My friend Summar at the The Cozy Home Chronicles had the idea to create a unicorn marshmallow recipe and a Eid gift tag. Head over to her site for a free download!
I love making homemade marshmallows. It is so simple and gratifying to make a novelty item. With the Unicorn craze, these pink, blue and purple swirled treats are the perfect party or celebration food. While my marshmallows are vanilla flavored, you may want to purchase a cotton candy oil to really achieve the unicorn yumminess. 😀
I had so much fun shooting the recipe process with Summar. I love the action shot, that I would not be able to get on my own.
This recipe requires food coloring to achieve the colors of a magical unicorn colors of pink, purple and blue. I purchased the Wilton food colors from Micheal’s Craft store.
You will also need a candy thermometer to ensure your sugar mixture reaches 240 degrees, which is the soft ball phase of candy making 😀
- 3 tablespoons gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon good quality vanilla
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pink, purple and blue food coloring
- sprinkles, optional
- Place gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment; this allows the gelatin to bloom.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, mix together sugar, salt, corn syrup, honey and 1/2 cup water.
- Stir the mixture and heat to a temperature of 240 degrees.
- Begin whisking gelatin and slowly stream in sugar mixture.
- Add in vanilla extract
- Continue whisking until light and fluffy; about 15 minutes.
- Once the mixture resembles marshmallow fluff, divide into 4 equal portions.
- Add food coloring and whisking until color is evenly distributed. Repeat with remaining colors.
- Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper. Dust it with powdered sugar.
- Working quickly, drop dollops of each color into your pan. Once all the marshmallow is in pan, use a butter knife to swirl the colors together.
- Top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Allow to set for a minimum of an hour.
- Remove from pan and cut into desired shape. Be sure to dust knife or cookie cutter with powdered sugar.
- Dust the marshmallows with more powdered sugar
Be sure to dust your knife with powdered sugar before cutting.
Head to The Cozy Home Chronicles for your free Eid Mubarak gift tag printable 😀
I want to wish all my sisters and brothers a very happy Eid! May all the blessings of the month be received by you and your families inshallah.