Banana Oat Nut Muffins
School has just begun and with a new school year comes excitement, nerves and the common ‘what’s for breakfast?’ question. Because mornings are often the busiest part of the day, I love to create breakfasts that can be enjoyed on the go.
These banana oat nut muffins are the perfect breakfast for those busy, hectic mornings. They are naturally sweetened with honey and I used coconut oil as a healthy fat.
This recipe is great for the over ripe bananas sitting on your counter. I tend to experience this a few times a month.
I folded chopped pecans into the batter, but this can be omitted or substituted for another nut or dried fruit 🙂
This recipes makes one dozen banana oat nut muffins and can be easily doubled and stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator. The muffins can be re-heated for 3o seconds in the microwave and are delicious on the side of some greek yogurt!
- 1/3 cup melted coconut
- 1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup milk (I use non fat dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (AP flour like King Arthur works great)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, use a hand whisk, to combine coconut oil and honey until mixed well.
- Add the eggs and bananas and mix well.
- Next, mix in the milk, baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, flour, oats and pecans. Mix to combine, being sure not to over-mix!
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups evenly.
- Sprinkle tops of muffins with old-fashioned oats and chopped pecans.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until done.
- Allow to cool and enjoy 🙂
Make these muffins? I’d love to see! Tag me @AmandasPlate and #CreateAmandasPlate
I wish you all the best in this new school year.
My absolute favorite, healthy yet delicious muffins. Had one this morning and tasted like a dessert cake with my coffee but without the fat/ bad stuff.
Thank you official taste tester! 😀
They look and sound delicious Amanda! I love your muffin pan, it is so original 🙂
Thank you so much, Marisa! I found it at anthropologie 🙂