If you follow me on Instragram, you know I have a cherry tomato plant, a love for farmers markets and tomatoes. I love fresh tomatoes. When I came home one evening and found that my tomato plant out grew the planter it was in, I knew I had to pick the tomatoes that remained on the plant and make something delicious. As per usual, Hussein suggested a pasta or pizza dish, so that is where I went. You can’t go wrong with pizza, can you?
This recipe makes enough dough for 2, 12inch pizzas. I prepared one with the recipe below and the other with a traditional pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. This cream cheese spread is SO good. It would be great as a dip served with a sliced up baguette and veggies.
If you are like my sister Mona and do not like tomatoes, feel free to choose a different topping! Use any toppings you like and leave out the ones you don’t. Cooking should be fun! Make something you and your peeps will enjoy 😀
Here is my recipe:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup warm water
1 egg, beaten
For the tomato topping:
1 8oz package of cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine yeast and water in bowl. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
3. Sift flour, sugar and salt together. Using the bread hook attachment on your mixer, combine yeast and water with flour mixture. Add in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Allow to mix until a dough is formed.
4. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil in large bowl. Place dough in bowl and cover with damp cloth. Place in warm, dark place (I use the inside of my oven) and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Cut dough into two equal pieces. Roll on piece into a round on a floured surface. Place on pre-warmed pizza stone or pan.
6. Brush edge of pizza crust with beaten egg. Poke holes into the dough using a fork. This will prevent air bubbles. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
7. While pizza crust is baking, make the topping. Mix together cream cheese, lemon zest and juice, dill, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
8. Remove pizza from oven. Evenly spread cream cheese mixture onto pizza crust. The warmth of the pizza will help melt the cream cheese and make it easier to spread.
9. Top pizza with tomatoes and red onions.
10. Enjoy 🙂