Crispy Quinoa Cakes and Arugula Fig Salad
Quinoa is not only a fad food. I believe it is here to stay in the Western markets. It is so versatile and delicious. Oh, it is also healthy :D. It is packed with protein and is gluten free. It is a very filling grain that mainly comes from Peru and Ecuador. It absorbs flavors well and is not only great accompaniment to a meal, but also can be the main attraction!
These quinoa cakes are crunchy, flavorful and pair beautifully with this salad. The peppery notes of arugula balance out the sweetness of the fruits and the saltiness of the feta cheese creates a perfect harmony of flavors. A must try! 🙂
Here is my recipe:
Makes 8 cakes
3 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
For the salad:
2 1/2 cups arugula
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
5 ripe figs
1/4 cup blueberries
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1. Combine cooked quinoa, breadcrumbs, bell pepper and shallots in a bowl. Add in eggs. Using the best tool in your kitchen, combine the ingredients. Allow to set.
2. Form mixture into 8 even patties. Use approximately half cup of mixture per patty. Allow to rest.
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Cook quinoa cakes on medium heat until browned and a crispy outer crust is formed. About 7 minutes on each side. Allow to rest on paper towels (which will absorb the excess oil).
4. To make the salad, mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil and juice of one lemon. Toss arugula in dressing. Arrange on plate and top with tomatoes, figs, blueberries and feta cheese.
5. Slice quinoa cakes and arrange on top of salad. Or serve along side the salad.
6. Enjoy 🙂
Looks beautiful, healthy and delicious!
Thank you, Brooke! I appreciate it 🙂