Cherry and Chocolate Pastry
Ramadan is just around the corner. One of the most requested recipes I receive during Ramadan is “easy dessert ideas”. I came up with this Cherry and Chocolate Pastry because: 1. It’s easy to make 2. cherries and chocolate make the perfect summer pairing 3. It’s delicious!
For those who don’t know, Ramadan is the Holy Month for Muslims around the world, who fast (refrain from water and food) from sun up to sun down every day for 29-30 days. This is a month of reflection, growth and self discipline. It is also a time for family, community and giving.
Due to the long days this year, many find themselves looking for easy foods to make.
Puff pastry is always an easy way to make a dessert as it is so versatile and is the perfect base to get creative!
I picked up some beautiful cherries and paired them with the best bakers chocolate (70% cocoa-yay for more antioxidants!) from Theo Chocolate. You can use a lower percentage of chocolate (more sugar) if you prefer a less bitter chocolate 🙂
Here is my recipe:
- Cherry filling
- 2 cups pitted and halved cherries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar in the raw (turbinado sugar)
- In a sauce pan, bring cherries, water, lemon juice, sugar and corn starch to a low boil. Mixing often.
- Allow cherries to soften slightly and the mixture to thicken, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the puff pastry until it is about 12 inches long
- Place pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cut 1 inch strips along the sides of the pastry, leaving 3 inches in the center.
- Place cherry filling in the center and sprinkle on the chopped chocolate
- Gently cross the cut ends of the pastry one over the other, until reaching the end
- Whisk egg and use a pastry brush to brush over the top of the pastry
- Sprinkle with sugar in the raw
- Bake for 15-20 until golden brown and flakey
- Enjoy 🙂
Looks stunning and delicious can’t wait try this when I get home.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Looks delicious, going to try this tonight. Thanks! Maybe this will be a Ramadan regular.
Thank you, Veronica! I hope you enjoy as much as we did 😀 Happy Ramadan!