Chicken Lemon Rice
We have had a break in the heat wave this past week. After a very strange few days filled with thunderstorms, complete with lightening, it has definitely cooled off. The gloomy gray clouds called for a warm cup of soup.
I have received a request to make chicken lemon rice, so here it is! Do you have a recipe you would like to see me make? Leave me a comment or send me an email at [email protected]!
This recipe gets its creaminess from eggs. I have attempted to make this recipe using cream, but there was a lot of separation, so I despite the difficulty of tempering eggs, it gives better payoff. It is really important that your eggs are at room temperature to begin with and then use your patience to temper them. There is nothing worse than ruining a dish by being impatient.
I paired this soup with a crusty baguette!
Here is my recipe:
1/2 cup long grain rice (I used brown rice and the hubby did not notice ;))
2 cups shredded chicken (good way to use leftover chicken, I used chicken breast)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock (use low sodium!! or omit the salt)
1. In large stock pot, saute` carrots, celery and onions in tablespoon of olive oil.
The combination of these three vegetables is referred to as a Mirepoix.
2. Add in stock and bring to a boil.
3. Once it is boiling, add in uncooked rice.
4. Allow mixture to come to a boil once again. Then lower heat to medium and allow to simmer until rice is cooked; about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Add in shredded chicken, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Turn off heat.
6. Whisk together eggs and lemon juice. Add in ladle full of liquid part of the soup. Whisk well. Add another ladle full. Whisk well.
7. Add egg and lemon juice into the soup. Turn on the heat to the lowest setting. Do not bring to a boil or the egg will scramble.
8. Add in the chopped parsley. Stir.
9. Enjoy 🙂