Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
Nothing screams celebration like sprinkles! And like Julia Child says, a gathering without cake is just a meeting. So this Eid, I decided to make a childhood classic; funfetti. And while we did not have Funfetti often, it was certainly a favorite. I mean how can a kiddo not like cake with sprinkles speckled throughout? 😀
Eid Al-Fitr is the end of Ramadan celebration for Muslims around the world. It is a time of gathering, of gratitude, appreciation, celebration and joy! During the Eid, Muslims attend a special prayer service at the Mosque followed by gift giving, visiting family and friends and enjoying delicious treats! I wanted to make my funfetti cupcakes extra special so I purchased the awesome cupcake toppers from With A Spin
To achieve the ‘funfetti’ flavor, I used buttermilk and clear imitation vanilla extract. Normally, a baker would advise against anything but really good vanilla, but in this instance it is absolutely necessary! This is a tip I learned from Christina Tosi herself, during my time at masterchef!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (can use regular milk)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half 8 ounces package)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Using the paddle attachment of your stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Until evenly incorporated.
- Mix in the clear vanilla extract and milk.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix the flour into the wet ingredients. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in sprinkles.
- Evenly distribute batter into cupcake liners and bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Using a stand mixture with paddle attachment, cream together butter and cream cheese until light and smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth and well combined.
- Using an icing tip of your liking, decorate cooled cupcakes with frosting. Top with Sprinkles and cupcake toppers.
- Enjoy 🙂
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate or @AmandasPlate
Happy Eid <3
Great recipe! Love the way you used our Acrylic “happy EID” picks to top them off. Happy Eid!
Thank you so much, Jomana! Happy Eid to you and yours 🙂
So excited to try this recipe! I note in the blog you mention using buttermilk but the recipe just says milk. Can I use either?
Yes you can 😀 sorry for the confusion!