I was scrollin thru Instagram the other night, when I came across a beautiful picture of chocolate chip cookies by @tojo827 (thanks for the recipe!!)
Some may consider chocolate chip cookies the most simple of cookies, but I was so intrigued.
I decided to try the recipe and add some flake salt for an added depth of flavor. I love sweet and salty treats!
I purchased the flake salt from William Sonoma. Maldon also has a flake salt that may be available at your local grocery store. Any finishing salt will work here 🙂
Lets talk about brown butter. It is nothing more than butter, that has been browned. Pretty simple right? The flavor however, is far from simple. It is rich, nutty and the aroma will fill your home with the most wonderful scent. Brown butter works in a variety of things; from cookies to pasta and everything in between:)
Here is the recipe for my salted brown butter chocolate chip cookies!
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 teaspoons good flake sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan, heat butter on low heat until it is browned.
- Cool butter completely.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined, but do not over mix.
- Sift in flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a size 40 (1 1/2 tablespoon) icecream scoop dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with flake salt.
- Place the refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden. The cookies will continue cooking outside the oven
- Allow to cool completely.
- Enjoy 🙂
make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate or @AmandasPlate