Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Serve up a warm bowl of broccoli cheddar soup and you’re serving up a bowl of comfort. There are many recipes for this soup but mine differs in that is packed with broccoli, carrots and cheese. Every spoon of my soup is full of creamy cheddar cheese and broccoli, which come together in a beautiful melody of spice, cream and a slight tang.
When making this broccoli cheddar soup recipe, it is important to grate your cheese by hand, as pre-grated cheese is coated in corn starch (to prevent it from sticking together) and does not melt as smoothly.
Also, it is a bit therapeutic to grate cheese by hand 🙂 But you can also use a food processor to speed up the process.
Here is my recipe:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottom pot, cook onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter.
- In the same pot, make your roux using the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablespoons flour. Melt the butter and stir in the flour.
- Add in the cream and the stock.
- Add in your vegetables, spices and cheese and simmer for another 35-40 minutes. Until soup thickens.
- Top with additional cheese and serve with croutons, if desired.
- Enjoy 🙂
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate