Once you have the basic macaroon recipe mastered, it is time to venture into the depths of the macaroon flavor chest. I have a few original ideas for flavors, but we will save those for later.
This weekend, I decided to take a try at chocolate macaroons. I mean chocolate macaroons. Chocolate. Macaroons. LOL.
Here is my recipe:
Makes 36 cookies, 18 sandwiched macaroons
1 3/4 powdered sugar
1 cup almond flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter, cubed at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with silicon mats or parchment paper.
2. Mix almond flour, cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar in small bowl . Sift mixture thru a fine-mesh sieve. Use a spatula to add in this process. (Yes, it takes a while). Discard whatever does not go thru the sieve.
3. Beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar on medium speed until frothy. Gradually spoon in the sugar and increase mixer speed to medium high. Continue beating until the mixture is stiff and shiny. (Took me 10 minutes total)
4. Carefully fold in the almond flour and sugar mixture into the stiff egg whites. DO NOT STIR. Fold gently together; you want as much air as possible to remain in the egg.
5. Continue to fold until the mixture is smooth and falls off the spatula in a thin, flat ribbon.
6. Prepare a pastry bag with a 1/4 inch round tip (Wilton #12) and fill with batter. Pipe out the cookies on the baking sheet.
7. Let the cookies set for 15 to 60 minutes. The cookies should no longer be sticky… this means they are ready! It is imperative to wait until the cookie is ready… or else you will get cracked macaroons!
8. Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest.
9. Heat cream in saucepan and then add chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth. Allow to cool completely in refrigerator.
10. Pipe chocolate filling into macaroon centers and sandwich cookies together.
Super-like, moreover I love chocolates!!
I made Triple-Layer Chocolate Cake..
I have tried to make them,, your picture and step are easy to understand, and they turned out very good 😍😍
Thank you, Dina! You are entered 😉
Macaroons always wanted to try and make them at home…. looks like i will try it this weekend 🙂 Ill snap the process
Thank you, Rasha! 🙂