Orzo Summer Salad
Very rarely does my husband, Hussein ask for a salad for dinner. He is not picky, per se, but doesn’t like ‘diet food’ or cereal for dinner (yes, I sometimes have a bowl of cereal for dinner :P).
I first made this dish two years ago, during a super hot stretch of summer. We did not turn the oven on and barely the energy to come up with an elaborate meal. I had been to the farmers market earlier in the week and a had a beautiful bounty of fresh vegetables on had. I decided to make a pasta salad and thus this Orzo Summer Salad was created 😀
The earthy flavor of asparagus with the sweetness of red onion, saltiness of kalamata olives, acidity of tomato, creaminess of goat cheese and the clean bright flavor of parsley make for a beautiful marriage of flavors and texture! I did not add salt to the dressing because the saltiness of the olives and cheese are enough for me. Add salt to your tasting 😀
This recipe can be served at room temperature or chilled.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups asparagus
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup (or more) crumbled goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- Prep your vegetables.
- In boiling salted water, cook asparagus for about 2 minutes. Remove from boiling water and place into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Cook orzo according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
- In a jar, combine olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper. Shack until emulsified. Pour over the orzo.
- Toss the orzo until evenly coated with dressing and add in the asparagus, tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper, olives and parsley.
- Top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Enjoy 🙂
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Please tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate or @AmandasPlate 🙂
My most favorite salad in the world and is the only one I have made the effort o learn how o prepare myself. So delicious honey.❤
Looks delicious. I love hearty salads. Will definitely try this one!!
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it!!