I have been so excited to make this dish! My friend and colleague told me about it a few weeks ago. When she said “about 10 cups of dill get added”, I asked her to repeat herself. Again, she repeated “10 cups of dill”. I asked so many follow up questions that she ended up making the dish and bringing some in for me to try. This is my take on Baqila Pollow or Timmen Baqilla. My Persian Style Dill Rice recipe. There is also a similar dish in Iraqi cuisine!
I call this dish, Persian Style, because I’ve tried my best to do justice to the original dish. I wanted to be sure to place my spin on it and make it easy to make as home. As I was researching, I found that some recipes call for other herbs as well. I have quite the little herb garden growing, so I wanted to incorporate other herbs as well. In my recipe, in addition to fresh dill, I also use fresh cilantro (AKA coriander) and mint.
This dish could be dressed up to be an entree, by serving with a protein such as chicken or fish. I would also serve this as a side dish at a picnic.
For this recipe, I used Royal Foods Basmati Rice. Basmati rice is traditionally used in Persian cuisine, and the Royal brand works perfectly!
- 2 cups Royal Foods Basmati Rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter/ regular butter works too)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups fresh dill,
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup lima beans, cooked
- In a pot, bring the rice, water, ghee and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to low and place the lit on the pot.
- Allow to simmer until the rice is cooked, and only a small amount of water remains.
- While the rice is cooking, use a food processor to finely mince your herbs. You should have 1 cup minced herbs.
- Stir the herbs and lima beans into the rice and heat for an additional moment, or until all the water has dissolved.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs
- Enjoy 🙂
**This post is brought to you by Royal Foods. All content, ideas and words are my own. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who allow me to create and share these fun, new recipes! 🙂