Vanilla Sheet Cake with Strawberries
I first made this cake in 2017. I had spent a Saturday morning picking fresh strawberries and I baked this cake later that afternoon. This recipe has been in drafts for an entire year. I finally got around to editing and sharing. And it comes with an important message.
Just a few weeks ago, George Floyd’s murder at the hands of the police, was viewed by the world. His death, along with Breonna Taylors and Ahmaud Arbery, sent millions across the United States and world to the streers in protests. Social media has a big roll in activism and organizing. I have not shared a new recipe during this time.
There has been a ton of sharing of resourcesI guess this post is to say that none of our lives matter, until black lives matter. That we can not simply move on and return to “normal”. The world is forever changed. The time is now (well centuries ago) to do the work of anti racism.
I first saw a photo on Wife Mama Foodie Instagram of a vegan version of this cake.
This cake is perfect for picnics and barbques, because it is easy to transport and serve. For the letters, I used Trader Joes cinnamon schoolbook cookies. They’re not for flavor, and here for the message.
The strawberries are very important. As they need to be sweet. Make this cake while strawberries are in season near you. You can add fresh mint, basil, oregano or rose as they all pair beautifully with strawberries.
Vanilla Sheet Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, unsalted at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk at room temperature
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream cold
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For The Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, or using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the flour and milk. Mix until combined. Bake cake for 35-38 minutes until top is slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool before assembly.
For The Strawberries
- In a small bowl, combined strawberries, one tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Allow to sit while the cake bakes.
For The Whipped Cream
- In a cold bowl, using a whisk (or whisk attachment) whisk whipped cream until thick. Add in the vanilla and the powdered sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Once cake is cool, spread the whipped cream over the top. Top with the strawberries and enjoy!
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using @AmandasPlate #CreateAmandasPlate