My Mama’s Banana Bread Recipe
Hey friends! There is so much going on after our fun weekend in Chicago at the I Heart Halal Festival. We came home to no power and since it was FREEZING and snowing, we stayed at my moms. She had some bananas that were ready to be baked into bread and I thought it was the perfect time to get her recipe written down ♥
This is my favorite banana bread recipe, as it has been made hundreds of times for us by my mama, Hala. Growing up, I have the fondest memories of baking this recipe with my mom. It was so popular, we had family members call and ask her to bake them a loaf or two!
Banana Bread Tips
- Be sure your bananas are ripe, but not too brown. I’ve found that overly ripe bananas have a weird flavor in baking. Save the really soft bananas for smoothies.
- Don’t over mix your batter. This is important in most baked things, but especially with dense batters.
- Check the date on your baking soda! I get tons of questions from folks frustrated that the thing they baked didn’t rise only to find their baking soda or powder is old. I write the date that I opened the container on the top and only use it for 2 months. The potency definitely decreases over time.
- Your pan size matters. Not all bread loaf pans are the same size. If you have a smaller pan, divide the batter between two pans. I use Wilton Nonstick Loaf Pan which is 9.25 inches by 5.25 inches
Mama's Banana Bread
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup smashed ripe bananas (about 4)
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, melted butter and banana. Whisk until well combined. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk together. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt over the wet ingredients and fold in using a spatula until evenly combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan and top with chopped walnuts or split banana.Bake for 40-45 minutes (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).Cool completely
I love topping a slice of this banana bread with butter, a drizzle of honey, some toasted nuts & even some bee pollen!
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate or @AmandasPlate