Ultimate Fudge Brownies
I absolutely love brownies. My earliest memories of brownies come from a box. I did however evolve and adapt and try my hand at homemade brownies.
The earliest recipe comes from Alton Brown. I’ve since adapted and tested and changed the recipe several times to fit what I like most about brownies; fudgey, chocolatey and super rich!
For this recipe, my secret ingredient is expresso powder! The expresso enhances the chocolate flavor and adds to the richness. For serving, I added swiss meringue butter with freeze dried raspberries for a special Valentine’s Day treat!
I use King Arthur Flour Espresso Powder and recommend this brand. Espresso powder is not the same as instant coffee.
When melting the chocolate and butter you want to do this over a pot of simmering water. Be sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl, and that the water is not boiling. Stir the chocolate and butter until they melt and then remove from heat.
- 9 ounces dark chocolate (I used 60% cocoa from Ghirardelli)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup All-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon expresso powder
- 1 teaspoon diamond crystal kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl, set over a pot of simmering water. Mix until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In another medium bowl, add the sugar, eggs and vanilla bean paste. Whisk to combine, about 30 seconds.Add the melted chocolate and whisk until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt over the wet ingredients. Fold in the flour mixture until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into equal squares.
Make this recipe? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate @AmandasPlate