Tomato Basil Hummus
Summer is coming to a close, but my mother’s garden is still producing a ton of tomatoes! I created this Tomato Basil Hummus recipe for two reasons: to put our fresh garden tomatoes to use and to #SpreadHummusNotHate 😀
My friend, Lina, from The Lebanese Plate began the campaign #SpreadHummusNotHate. I immediately related and knew I had to join in. With the rise of Islamophobia and attacks against Muslims, it is important to share in our similarities; one being the love for good food.
I love this concept because it echoes the same sentiments that I had in starting #DinnerWithYourMuslimNeighbor. Food can be our bridge to understanding one another. And with the constant negativity and hate in our world, we need to do the best we can to add joy, love and understanding.
How do you build bridges in your life? Is it a smile and ‘good morning’? A random act of kindness? I’d love to know!
My hope is that through my food, I can create a safe, loving, understanding community for all <3
For now, let’s get on to the recipe..
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for topping)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment
- Arrange tomatoes and garlic on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Rinse chickpeas well and remove the shells (this will make the hummus more smooth)
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and lemon juice.
- If the hummus is too thick, add a tablespoon of ice cold water and blend well.
- Spread hummus on plate and enjoy!
For more of hummus recipes click here. 😀
Make this dish? I’d love to see! Tag me using #CreateAmandasPlate or @Amandasplate
Looks delicious! I would love to dive right in 🙂
Thanks so much, Meriem! I wish I could share with you 😀
Literally that is my new favorite Hammoud it was mellow and sweet. Love it.
Thank you <3 I'm so glad you enjoyed it honey