I’ve always preferred vanilla cupcakes over chocolate. To celebrate my two year blog anniversary, I made these cupcakes to celebrate! I shared them with my friends, who were super excited to try the edible pansies that adorned the cupcakes 😀
Growing up, we made cakes and cupcakes often. But they were not always from scratch. Yes, we used box mixes 😛 As I spent more time watching the food network, I realized just how easy it was to make a cake from scratch.
This recipe is very versatile and easy. You can add any extracts you like; think peppermint, coconut or lemon 🙂 I chose to top the cupcakes with a buttercream icing because it is also really easy and versatile!
Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a chance to win MasterChef Season 6 Winner Claudia’s new cookbook!
On to the recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 (8 tablespoon) stick of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk (if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions.
- Mix in vanilla bean extract.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the dry ingredients and the milk. Mix until just combined (do not over mix)
- Pour batter into the cups and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Using a mixer, blend butter and powdered sugar together. Add in the vanilla and milk and mix until smooth.
- Use food coloring if desired.
- Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes
- Enjoy 🙂